Desert Schools is committed to educating our members on fraud and identity theft protection. To help you prevent fraud, we have compiled a list of resources and information on identity theft, phishing and scams. These helpful tips twill keep you up-to-date and safe.
Here are a few tips to assist you in the prevention of fraud.
- Guard your Social Security number.
- Make photocopies of vital information.
- Beware of mail or telephone solicitations that offer prizes or awards.
- Always shred papers with financial information, including credit card offers before discarding.
- Monitor your accounts regularly to ensure no suspicious activity is taking place.
- Check your credit once or twice a year. The Federal Trade Commission
offers a free annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Stay current about the latest identity theft scams.
- Examine the charges on your bills before paying them.
- Sign new credit cards immediately.
- Cancel unused credit card accounts.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
||Email and Online Security
- Do not open or respond to e-mail that is suspicious.
- Don't follow a link in an e-mail. Always type the Website URL address
- Make sure to install firewalls or anti-spyware programs on your computer.
- Don't use an obvious password like your birth date, your mother's maiden name, or the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Desert Schools will never send unsolicited emails or make unsolicited phone calls or texts asking you to give or verify personal information online,
including your username, password, or PIN.
- You should never respond to any email or text message that states that your account has been compromised and/or that asks you to confirm your
account or any personal information.
||Phone / Mail
- Treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism and do not disclose any personal information.
- Promptly retrieve incoming mail and do not place outgoing mail in your mailbox.
- Know your billing and statement cycles.
If identity theft prevention, detection, and resolution is important to you, find out more about Desert Schools' identity theft protection solution - IdentitySecure!